As a child, one of the wise things my mom did was give us chores. There are four girls in my family but only three of us had chores. My youngest sister was a little too young to take on that responsibility. So, the household cleaning was divided amongst the three of us. Every Saturday morning before we could go outside to play, we had to do our chores. It was a great habit we were taught.
I had different responsibilities from time to time but most of the time I had the bathrooms. I wonder if this is why cleaning bathrooms is not my favorite part of cleaning my home now. My parents had their own (tiny) bathroom as well as the family one. Neither were very large, and the greater part of the walls were tile. Every Saturday I would take out Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner, spray the walls down and then wipe them clean. They did come clean for sure but what was not realized during that time were the toxic chemicals in this cleaner. Because our bathrooms were so small, did not give me enough air to clear out these toxic chemicals before I had the ability to breath them in. I never even thought to open the windows. Unfortunately, 50+ years ago we did not understand the dangers of these products.
Take a look at what Environmental Working Group (EWG) has addressed regarding this product EWG’s Rating for Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner According to EWG, Scrubbing Bubbles got rated “F” for safety. Two of the top ingredients can cause developmental/endocrine/reproductive issues. Could this be why my menstrual cycle was so messed up as an adolescent and into my adult life? Could this be why my two pregnancies were “iffy” at one point? Could this be why I lost a 3rd child? I don’t know but I am all the wiser now regarding what I clean my home with and especially my bathroom.
What are some of the chemicals we need to be concerned with that can be in our bathroom cleaning products? Here are some:
- Formaldehyde – this chemical is linked to several respiratory and skin issues. But the greater concern is its link to ALS, cancer, or other neurological system diseases.
- PERC or Perchloroethylene – this chemical is linked to breast, colon, and lung cancer. It also can harm your kidneys, liver, or CNS (central nervous system).
- Phthalates – this chemical has been linked to ADD, asthma, neurodevelopment issues or breast cancer.
- Ammonia – this chemical can cause damage to your throat, nose and respiratory tract, your skin, and eyes. It can also cause blindness when you have great exposure to it.
- Bleach – this chemical can irritate your eyes, mouth, lungs, and your skin. People with breathing problems and asthma can be harmed further from this chemical. In young children, it can burn their tissue externally or internally. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT EVER MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA. IT CAN CAUSE A GAS CALLED PHOSGENE OR MUSTARD GAS. IT IS ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS BY-PRODUCTS OF BLEACH. IT CAN ALSO DAMAGE YOUR AIRWAYS OR EVEN CAUSE DEATH IF YOUR EXPOSURE TO IT IS LONG ENOUGH.
- Synthetic Fragrance – these chemicals now are being classified as the new “second-hand smoke” and is linked to many health issues such as respiratory illness, hormone disruption, ADD, ADHD, and more.
So, what is one to do? Don’t be discouraged. There are options. You can be adventurous and make your own cleaning products or you can purchase “healthy & safe” products.
You can also find “safe” products at your local health food stores but as always read the labels. I used to use 7th Generation but have stopped since they’ve changed their ingredients after they got bought out by Unilever.
We all need to be consumer conscience and understand the ingredients that are in the products we clean with and even the food we eat.
If you would like to take advantage of my Detox Your Home program, let me know. Between August 24th and September 3rd, I am offering “DETOX YOUR HOME” service for free. Yes, that’s right FREE! Through Zoom we will go through your home and detect those items that could be hazardous to your health! This program costs $250, but I’m offering it for free if you book an appointment in the next 10 days. We don’t need to meet in the next 10 days, but you need to schedule it in the next 10 days and schedule before year end.
Turning people’s health around by building a strong and robust immune system is my goal and my passion. I am so looking forward to hearing from you to help get you and your family Revived, Rejuvenated & Restored!
Your Spiritual Life & Health Coach … believing in you!