Recently, I was interviewed by Bed Bath and Beyond for “Organizing Tips” for sports equipment in garages. Their Blog post can be found at: Storing Sports Gear in Garages.
As the sports season continues into the summer, there is no better time to start than now with getting your garage organized for all your children’s sporting equipment. Here are some simple tips to follow:
- Create a designated space for their equipment. Ideally, garages should be organized in “zones” and one of the “zones” would be sporting equipment.
- Do not allow your children to “dump” their equipment after a game. Train them to put everything in its place.
- Teach your children to respect their gear by putting each item in its place.
- Teach your children to clean their gear and uniforms after each game and then put it in a place where it is ready for the next game or practice. If putting back in the car is best, then let it be the car.
- When that specific season is over, store those items away for the next season. If items will not be used next year because they have either outgrown them or outworn them, then either donate what is still in good shape and toss what can no longer be used.
- When the season of bicycle riding is over, then consider hanging the bicycles from the ceiling. Here are some ideas: Hanging Bicycles
- Use storage shelves to store out of season gear so it’s off the floor.
- Use tubs for smaller items such as balls (tennis, baseball, football, basketball, etc). Be sure to label these tubs or bins. You don’t want to take down a stack of bins and open them all to find the item or items you are looking for. Here are some options Storage Tubs or Storing Balls
- Be sure mom and dad is setting the example by keeping their items organized and in their place. We cannot expect kids to follow one suit while we are doing another.
Hope these tips shed some light on the challenges you may face within your garage and all your children’s sporting gear. Feel like the project is too much to tackle on your own, call a Professional Organizer in your area. You can find one at Find an Professional Organizer
Your Organizing Expert … Believing in You!