As we begin our organizational journey these next 51 weeks, there are a few “standard procedures” that I want you to keep in mind as you take this journey with me each week. These procedures will apply to every area we will be working on.
As you begin to remove clutter and start to organize, find the function of your item(s) before you make a decision where to place it. As yourself these questions:
- Have I ever used this item?
- When was the last time I used it?
- For what did I use it for?
- Will I miss it if it is no longer here?
- Is there a different purpose for which I can use this?
- If I decide I need it in the future, can I replace it easily?
- As you remove the clutter, “refresh your space”.
- Empty the specific area you are working on completely
- Dust, vacuum or wipe down the surfaces to remove dust and debris.
- If needed, use a “earth friendly” cleaning product to give it a “sparkle”
- Put in any necessary shelves or hooks
- If area really needs a new face, give it some paint.
Once you take these steps, you will have an even better mindset about what you place back in that area. You will definitely think twice about putting in “junk”.
Find the fun in organizing … and there is fun in it. These simple hints can turn this “dreaded” task into something that can end with a smile on your face.
- Turn on music that you enjoy to keep you motivated and pumped up
- Remember your “why” (read prior post for explanation) for beginning this project. Keep it in front of you as best you can.
- Decide on a task and don’t stop until it completed. Take it in bite-size pieces if it seems daunting. Then, give yourself a reward to after completing each task. It could be something as simple as a piece of chocolate or as big as taking a break for 15 minutes.
- Find a friend who might enjoy joining you on this venture and you can see who reaches their weekly goals first. Or you could share the task at each other house. Work on her home one day and the next come to yours.
Your Organizing Expert …. Believing in You!