I know we’ve been told for years to watch out for the sun because the sun causes cancer. But I personally have a different take. We need the sun for Vitamin D3. If we need the sun for Vitamin D, how can it cause cancer? Vitamin D3 is imperative to our health. It’s bad enough that many who live in parts of the country where there are seasons that the sun is minimal but to then block the sun when the season is at its peck for giving us Vitamin D is harming us.
Should We Roast in the Sun?
Should we roast in the sun where we burn our skin? NO! But is covering ourselves in toxic chemical ridden sunscreen the answer? I don’t believe so. Take a look at the sunscreen you purchase and read the ingredients. Do you find any of these ingredients in it?
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Titanium dioxide
- 2-Ethylexyl salicylate
- 4-Aminobenzoic acid
Why Are These Ingredients Toxic or Harmful?
If you find any one of these ingredients, I would highly consider not using it. Why are these ingredients considered toxic? For example:
- Retinyl Palmitate is a form of vitamin A which can be a powerful antioxidant. But they found when Retinyl Palmitate is on your skin in the sun, it increases your risk of skin cancer.
- Avobenzone is a chemical that is destabilized upon sun exposure. It can cause allergic contact dermatitis.
- Oxybenzone is also known as benzophenone-3 and is the most common ingredient in sunscreens. It is known to cause photoallergic contact dermatitis.
- Homosalate is the chemical ingredient in sunscreen that contains the SPF. It is known as an endocrine disruptor to your hormones.
- Fragrance is usually derived from chemicals and not natural means such as Essential Oils. If this term is in your sunscreen (or any skincare product) it should be avoided.
- Parabens are preservatives used to prevent the growth of bacteria. The problem with parabens is they are a synthetic preservative such as methylparaben, ethylparaben, and propylparaben and are endocrine disruptors. Vitamin E is a better preservative.
Suggestions to Protect Yourself From the Sun!
I know it can be dis-heartening because you don’t know what to do to protect yourself from too much sun. Well, here are a few suggestions:
- Wear a hat when not in the water.
- Put on light clothing when you are sitting in the sun. Linen is a great fabric that breaths well but will also cover you from the sun.
- Don’t use Citrus Essential Oils when going in the sun as they are photo sensitive and can cause you to burn.
- Sit under an umbrella when at the beach.
- Lastly, if you really want to use a sunscreen, consider going to Environmental Working Group, EWG, and look at their suggested and recommended guide to sunscreens. Here’s the link https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/ EWG is a great website to research skincare products that are safe to put on your body.
Ask yourself, “why is cancer on the rise when we’ve been using sunscreens all these years?” It’s a question I’ve asked for years, and I believe I have figured out the answer.
Do your research. Don’t just trust that products on the market are safe. Be your own health advocate.
Your Spiritual Life and Health Coach … believing in you!