After working as a Professional Organizer for the past 5 years, I am finding that there are so many factors that are affecting people’s health … not just the clutter they are living or working in.
What we eat, what we use for cleaning products in our homes and what medications we take need to be high priority in our life and we need to continually evaluate them. I believe a generation is arising that is saying, “I want to look at my whole body/whole life and see how everything is affecting my health and well-being.” There seems to be a shift to more natural healing and looking at food as a “medicine.” Understand that what you put in your body, what you put on your body and what you clean your home with can and will affect your health. It may not affect you immediately. But down the road it could have long-term consequences.
Essential Oils are on the rise for a number of uses. People are using them to create safe and healthy cleaning products. They are also using them to aid in healing. But how do you know if the oils you are using are safe? It is going to require research on your part. The FDA considers Essential Oils a cosmetic and they do not have any regulations on cosmetics. This means you have to rely on the manufacturer to tell you the truth. Unfortunately, not all companies are honest and you can get a product line that is full of contaminates.
Every time you are using an Essential Oil whether you are diffusing, ingesting or applying directly to your skin, you are opening up a pathway allowing everything into your body. If your oil is safe and pure, then you are reaping great benefits. There are, unfortunately, some chemicals/toxins that are legally allowed to “hide” in your Oils. They are: lead, solvent residues, insecticides and pesticides and the horrible GMOs.
So how do you know if your Essential Oil is safe? Well for one, if it is Certified Organic, you can feel more confident that there are no contaminants in it. Secondly, you will have to research the company you want to use and determine if what you see and hear is in line with what you feel to be safe. I have chosen to use doTerra Essential Oil. Why? Because this is what they pledge their oils will be:
- Pure and natural, with aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants
- Free from fillers or artificial ingredients; no dilution of active qualities
- Free of contaminants, pesticides, or chemical residues
- Rigorously tested for standards of chemical composition
- Cross tested using mass-spectrometry and gas chromatography to ensure exact purity and composition potency
- Sourced by a global network of leading essential oil chemists and growers to ensure correct species, growth in ideal environments, and that raw plant materials were carefully harvested at the right time
So once you decide on which Essential Oil Company you want to use, what are some of the ways in which you can put to use? Listed below are 10 Essential Oil Ideas to help get you started. This is by no means an exhaustive list but it is a list to get you started.
- Detox your home first by removing all chemical cleaning products. Replace with natural cleaning products. Essential Oils can help you create some DIY cleaning products and are very effective in eliminating bacteria and germs from the surface you are cleaning. Essential Oils like Lemon or OnGuard.
- When considering adding Essential Oils to your health regimen, start small. Play with the oils and see what really works well for you. For example, there are a number of oils that work well for anxious feelings. After trying a few, I found that Cedarwood works great for me when those anxious feelings creeps in.
- Need something to uplift your body and mind? Try diffusing Peppermint and Wild Orange. You can do them separately or together. I find when I have an office day and am tired, I diffuse Peppermint and my mind clears up and the “fog” goes away.
- Are you about to do your workout but just don’t feel motivated? Try applying some Peppermint Oil on your chest for a great pick me up.
- Do you get that afternoon slump? Instead of grabbing a cup of coffee, try adding some Ginger Essential Oil to your water. It will give you that late afternoon boost.
- Are you a runner? Consider popping in a Peppermint Beadlet before you run. It will open your airways and help promote clear breathing.
- Need to relax at the end of a busy day and having trouble winding down? Apply some Serenity Essential Oil to the back of your neck for a calming and renewing aroma as you head for the bed.
- As you are doing your rigorous workout, add a couple of drops of Lemon or Grapefruit Essential oil to your water bottle and sip as you workout. It will help keep your metabolism going.
- Feel something coming on you like environmental threats, seasonal threats, or unwanted pathogens. Or you have a scratchy throat or runny nose? Trying applying On Guard Essential Oil and help boost your immune system.
- Are you dieting? Try using the Slim & Sassy Blend as part of your diet to help support healthy metabolic function.
So these are just a few ideas on how to incorporate Essential Oils into your lifestyle. Need more ideas or want to learn more about Essential Oils? Contact me. I’ll be happy to get your started and led you in the right direction.
Your Health, Wellness and Organizing Expert … Believing in You!